Tips on pre-batching alfresco cocktails.
Bacardi Ltd’s Global Head of Education and Mixology, Joe McCanta and some spitz cocktails recipes to make you the envy of the park this season.
Pre-batching alfresco cocktails:
- Fresh is best – pre-batching can save a ton of time when you are having a picnic or drinking outdoors and this extra bit of prep will enable you to maximise time spent basking in the sunshine and socialising with friends. To keep your cocktails fresh, hold off adding fruit juice or mixer until the day of consumption. Bubbles, in particular, should definitely be added as the finishing touch, as carbonated drinks can lose fizziness quickly – and no one likes a flat cocktail! One of my personal favourites is the Grey Goose Le Grand Fizz, I’ll mix everything together before a get-together and then have a bottle of cold soda water ready to go as the final touch.
- Avoid dairy and eggs – Unfortunately, these sorts of ingredients can separate over time, particularly if exposed to warmer temperatures. Lighter ingredients – such as a fruit juice or soda water – are more likely to stand the test of time and make for a fresh-tasting cocktail! A couple of my favourites are a St-Germain Spritz, Bombay Sapphire Gin Mule, and a Martini Fiero & Tonic.
- Ice matters (but not why you think!) – Of course ice is a nice way to cool your cocktail but it also serves as a dilutant to create a more balanced taste. Don’t fancy lugging an ice bag to your picnic? Simply add a splash of water to your pre-mix and keep chilled in the fridge until time to consume. Even better, invest in a cooler box for super chilled cocktails, even when on the move.
- Go for the garnish! – Garnishes are a great way to elevate your cocktails and can quickly transform simple serves into summer showstoppers that will be the envy of your fellow parkgoers! My go-to garnishes are pre-sliced citrus fruits such as lemon, lime and grapefruit. Easy to prepare and can simply be thrown in a zip lock pouch ready to add at the last minute! Seasonal fruits, such as berries, are also great for adding a touch of summer sweetness, or for those who have been nurturing a herb garden over lockdown, a sprig of homegrown mint or rosemary not only tastes great, but will impress your friends too.
- Choose your vessel wisely – Many are tempted to opt for glass bottles when pre-batching cocktails, but in actual fact a metal thermos is the vessel of choice for keeping drinks super chilled! You can even freeze your bottle the night before for optimal chilling time, so all that’s left to do it sit back, sip and enjoy!
Here are some of the best recipes for pre-batching from Bacardi Ltd:
BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin & Tonic Spritz
“A crisp update on the classic GnT incorporating MARTINI BITTER, lemon juice and honey syrup, best served chilled and alfresco.”
- 30 ml BOMBAY SAPPHIRE.
- 15 ml MARTINI BITTER.
- 15ml Lemon juice.
- 15ml Lemon honey syrup.
- Premium tonic water.
- ½ orange wheel.
- Add BOMBAY SAPPHIRE, MARTINI BITTER, lemon juice and honey syrup into shaker and shake
- Strain into spritz glass
- Fully fill the glass with cubed ice and top with premium tonic water
- Garnish with ½ orange wheel
“The St-GERMAIN Spritz is simple, elegant and quintessentially French when made with Champagne: there’s no finer way to unwind than with the signature apéritif. Mix the ingredients below over ice in a highball glass and garnish with a fresh wedge of lemon”.
- 40 ml ST-GERMAIN.
- 60 ml Champagne or Prosecco.
- 60 ml Sparkling Water.
- Lemon twist.
- Mix in a Collins glass over ice.
- Stir gently and garnish with lemon twist.
GREY GOOSE® LE GRAND FIZZ A LA RUSSE
“The GREY GOOSE® Le Grand Fizz a la Russe is a fantastic summer update to a vodka and tonic”
It’s sophisticated and interesting – a bittersweet Spritz packed full of zesty citrus notes. If you’re looking to impress guests at your garden party or BBQ this summer, why not garnish with thyme sprigs fresh from the garden?”
- 30ml GREY GOOSE® Vodka.
- 15ml Peach Liqueur.
- 15ml Fresh Grapefruit Juice.
- 60ml Premium Tonic Water.
- Grapefruit Wedge.
- Combine all ingredients except the tonic water over cubed ice in a large wine glass.
- Stir and top with tonic.
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge and sprig of thyme for added flavour.
BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin Mule
“Nothing says summer better than the botanical notes of a well-made gin and this spicy update to the classic vodka cocktail really delivers.
A refreshing twist on a classic cocktail traditionally reserved for vodka; vibrant ginger spice meets the bright juniper and citrus flavour profile of Bombay Sapphire, lifted with a squeeze of fresh lime. Delicious”.
- 50 ml BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin.
- 15 ml Lime juice.
- 100 ml Ginger beer (chilled).
- 2 Fresh mint sprigs.
- 2 Lime wedges.
- Slice of fresh ginger (optional).
“The irresistible flavours of BACARDÍ Rum are given extra sparkle in this super simple but wonderfully refreshing Mojito.
It’s the perfect tipple for those craving something zesty, yet sweet and refreshing. Garnish with freshly awoken mint – and if you’re feeling experimental, why not add in a raspberry or two?”
- 50 ml BACARDÍ Carta Blanca Rum.
- 25ml Lime juice.
- 12 Mint leaves.
- 2 tsp Extra fine sugar.
- 25 ml Soda water.
- Build over cubed ice in a highball.
- Mix in freshly awoken mint leaves.
MARTINI FIERO & TONIC
“MARTINI Fiero is the perfect ice-cold tipple to enjoy in the sunshine. Bold flavoured and brightly coloured, the bittersweet orange flavour and striking red colour of MARTINI Fiero are both 100% natural. Designed to be paired 50/50 with tonic over ice and an orange garnish for maximum impact with minimal fuss.
- 70 ml MARTINI Fiero.
- 70 ml Tonic water.
- Orange wedge for garnish.
- 50% MARTINI Fiero and 50% tonic water.
- Serve over ice with an orange garnish.
Meanwhile, check out more of our Summer drinks tips here.